Captain Andrew Baxter and Jayne were delighted to pick Oulton Hall in Leeds as the venue for the annual captain’s weekend away. It is a comfortable drive within a reasonable distance, having a course comprising three sets of 9 holes of fairly friendly nature, with wide fairways and little rough. In fact, it became the perfect place for the eclectic mix of golfers and non-golfers to relax, enjoy the facilities, play social and competitive golf, and benefit from the wonderful facilities and food on offer.
All in all, 72 Leek Golf Club members travelled to Leeds, with 59 joining the party on the Friday, to be welcomed by the captain and his wife in the Repton Lounge with a complimentary drink, before dining in the sumptuous Repton Room with a pre-chosen menu of high quality indeed. During Friday several of the guests played a few holes, whilst others disappeared into the Spa or travelled the short distance into the City centre to see the numerous sights on offer. During the evening the banter flowed, and there was a great atmosphere, despite the gin running out!
On the Saturday the golf consisted of a sociable team format of 2 from 4 to score, with 48 people playing off full handicap using the yellow and red tees. The Calverley course holes 10-18 were in use, in conjunction with the Hall course holes 19-27. The resident professional was asked to compile the results, by way of a merit table system, to give everyone on the Sunday an even chance of doing well over the weekend.
A more formal setting was in place for the Saturday evening, when the guests met in the Oulton Foyer for a champagne reception, followed by a lovely meal in the Oulton Suite. The conversation varied from the golf played during the day, to what the non-golfers had been up on their travels. To save time on the Sunday, the captain announced the Saturday results that night, which were as follows:
• 1st team Brian Hollins, Frank Colclough & Adrian Roberts 90 points
• 2nd team Trevor Eccleston, Ray Woolley, Craig Stanier & Bo Robinson 86 points b9 of 47
• 3rd team Dave Griffiths, Spencer Henson, Dave Gallimore & Phill Davies 86 points b9 of 45
• Nearest the Pin on 15th hole Phill Davies
• Nearest the Pin on 27th hole Dennis Parkes
• Nearest the Pin on 15th hole Maria Wootton
• Nearest the Pin on 15th hole Lisa Davies
The format for Sunday golf was individual stableford, playing the Calverley course holes 1-18. When the golfers had finished, changed and met up with their partners, there was free soup and sandwiches on offer, while they waited for the professional to deliver the results. After a short wait, the captain announced the results as follows:
• Sunday 1st Individual Gent Jim Lepke 45 points
• Sunday 2nd Individual Gent Dave Griffiths 40 points
• Sunday 3rd Individual Gent Tony Brindley 39 points
• Sunday 1st Individual Lady Liz salmon 37 points
• Sunday 2nd Individual Lady Karen Griffiths 35 points
• Sunday 3rd Individual Lady Pat Beeson 34 points
• Nearest the Pin on 2nd hole Andy Martin
• Nearest the Pin on 27th hole Ian Beeson
• Nearest the Pin on 15th hole Jayne Baxter
• Nearest the Pin on 15th hole Georgie Taylor
WEEKEND OVERALL WINNERS
• 1st place Jim Lepke 53½ points (8½ + 45)
• 2nd place Dave Griffiths 51 points (11 + 40)
• 3rd place Mike Wootton 49 points (10 + 39)
After the presentation and a short emotional ‘thank-you’ to everyone for supporting him over the weekend, the captain wished all a safe journey home, and hurried to the bar to chill out with a few of those remaining on the Sunday night. This was a tremendous weekend for us enjoying the company of friends, who did themselves proud in every aspect. Jayne gratefully received a very generous voucher and beautiful bouquet.
Captain Leek Golf Club